With Christmas in only 10 days (!!!) I’m excited to share a Christmas ornament that is so easy, so cute and so perfect for anyone who knits or crochets or has a love of yarn. As I type this, my mind is going crazy with ideas about how to make this more cat-centric, it could even be a gift for the crazy cat ladies in your life too. (No judgment, I’ve been a proud crazy cat lady for 10+ years!) I made four of these last year, and found the idea on Pinterest. (I love Pinterest!)
Yarn ball ornaments
First, gather your supplies. A trip to Michael’s or JoAnn’s Crafts will set you up perfectly for this for pretty cheap. Depending on the value of coupons, this could be less than $5 total!
All the supplies you’ll need for the yarn ball ornaments
- A skein of the yarn of your choice (Yes, I looked up what that was called!)
- A package of the ornaments you want to cover
- Wood beads
- Skewers (any size 6” or longer)
- Super glue
- Scotch tape
For the needles
- Select pairs of wood beads that are similar colors.
- Cut sets of skewers (if necessary) in similar lengths
- Apply super glue to the inside of the wood bead. You could probably also use hot glue, but the hot glue might get everywhere. If you do use super glue, be very careful about applying the glue and having it unknowingly seep drip through the beads and onto your fingers. It glues very securely and very quickly! (Yes, I speak from experience!)
- Hold the end of the skewer flush with the outside of the wood bead, to make it look like a knitting needle.
Yarn ball ornament “needles”
For the yarn balls
- Start the yarn ball by taking the gold or silver “topper” off of the ornament. (It’ll be returned once the yarn has been applied)
- Take a piece of tape and tape the end of the yarn onto the ornament.
- Start wrapping the yarn around the ornament. And keep wrapping…and wrapping…and wrapping…and wrapping… But seriously, switch up the direction from time to time and wrap the ornament until all of the glass is covered and it looks like a ball of yarn.
- When you’re nearing the end, simply cut the yarn and tuck it into a previously-wrapped section.
- Put the topper back on, lace the “needle” through the yarn and your finished product is ready!
First thing first. Starting the ornament.
Wrap, wrap, wrap.
More last-minute Christmas present ideas to come! Have a great rest of the week!
Ever wonder how I get all of the great photos I post here and on Instagram? This comic pretty much sums it up:
The truth behind all of my photos… Kind of. 😉
Lucky for me, my cats are lazy and photogenic, my camera and I are friends and understand one another, and I’ve enjoyed composing and taking photos for many years.
Shortly after I saw this comic, I stumbled across this post on Instagram. The only thing missing here is a glass of wine! I think Jack and I totally nailed it!
Have a great rest of the week!
Comic from Huffington Post
I’m a bit of a crazy cat lady and my oldest, Madison, is celebrating a very special birthday tomorrow: DOUBLE DIGITS!
My sweet Maddie will be 10 tomorrow! She hates fireworks, so she kind of detests her birthday, but I’ll try to make it up to her with a long weekend of quality time and some really good treats!
As I did with Jack last year, here is Maddie’s photo show:
Sweet Maddie Cat
Delicate lady paws
Another shot of her delicate lady paws
And some of her favorite activities…
… Sleeping awkwardly on her brother
… A lot
Happy birthday, Maddie!
Hanging with Mom: birthday plans of champions
This made the news a few weeks ago, but I wanted to make sure you saw it: cats can finally join in on the Wine Wednesday fun with Pussy/Nyan Nyan Nouveau. A wine for cats!!
Pussy Nouveau Cat Wine
There is now a non-alcoholic beverage made from the juice of Cabernet franc grapes, vitamin C and catnip, and intended “exclusively for cats.” Presumably, pets will only be able to drink the product with their owners’ purrmission. Get it? It’s a cat joke!
It’s currently only available in Japan, but Pussy/Nyan Nyan Nouveau is very inexpensive (~$4/bottle) and could be quite a hit with my cats. What do you think? Would your cats like to enjoy a glass or two of wine with you?
Here are my two gatos, ready and patiently waiting to get their paws on some cat wine! Happy Wine Wednesday!!
Jackson of Megan’s Island
Madison of Megan’s Island
Happy birthday Jack!
I’m a pretty crazy cat lady and have tried to keep it under control on this blog… until now.
My little boy cat turned SIX today! He’s got a wild and crazy birthday planned: something fancy for breakfast and dinner, a day of relaxing on the couch, a few trips up and down the stairs and some quality time harassing Madison (his big sister cat), and lots and lots of snuggles with me.
Enjoy this trip down memory lane as I celebrate Jack’s sixth birthday and reminisce on the days when my little fluff ball first came into my life.
I love you, Jackson Cat Coppersmith Szerwo!
He started out looking a little devilish. Hence his name: Jack.
After the neighborhood terror at my parent’s house.
Bath time! Courtesy of Maddie
Nap time! Jack as a pillow.
Playing with his toys.
- I love these cats!!
Sometimes I can get in on the snuggling too. I love cats-as-pillows!